* fields indicate required information.
If you have any questions about the application process, please call the Eugene Celebration office at (541) 681-4108.
Welcome to the Eugene Celebration Parade!
Eugene's biggest party, the Eugene Celebration, kicks off with the Celebration Parade on Saturday, August 24th. If you have questions that are not covered in this application, please see the Parade page, where you’ll find information on prizes, as well as tips for success!
The 2013 Parade and Celebration
Parade: Saturday August 24, 2013
Parade Central opens at South Eugene High School parking lot
10:00 am: Parade Begins
5 pm: Awards Ceremony at the Broadway Stage
PLEASE PUT A PHONE NUMBER ON THE APPLICATION WHERE SOMEONE CAN BE REACHED FOR NOTIFICATION ON PARADE DAY.
The Eugene Celebration Parade will be limited to a maximum of 100 entries. The parade committee reviews all applications. The committee reserves the right to choose only those entries that meet the criteria established in this application. Please complete your application with as much detail as possible, as acceptance of your entry is based only on the information you provide.
The entry should have the following:
*Entry is well-designed and has an exceptional central theme or idea. We need to get your message in 20 seconds!
*Entry incorporates the parade theme.
*The entry is fun, clever, and well-received by the audience. It should make us want to stand up and cheer.
*Entry easily travels the parade route, turns corners and fits under traffic signals. Entry meets size restrictions and safety regulations. The height of the entry needs to easily pass under trees and traffic devices encountered on the Parade route. Here are some guidelines for these regulations:
Maximum width: 16 feet
Maximum height: 13 feet
Maximum length: 60 feet
Minimum frame clearance to ground: 10 inches
*Recorded or live music, use of instruments, chants, or other audio is effectively used by your entry.
*There is an interesting, unusual and exciting routine performed consistently throughout the parade route.
*Costumes are original in nature, unusual
and/or well designed. Props are inventive and are large enough to be visible to the audience.
Important Dates and Deadlines
Your application and payment must be received in the Eugene Celebration office by Wednesday, July 24, 2013 if you wish to avoid an increase in fees. Entries and/or payments received after that date and NO LATER THAN Friday, August 9, 2013 must add an additional 50% increase to their application fee.
NO ENTRIES will be accepted after August 9, 2013.
Please fill in the information below (* indicates required field)
Contact First Name *
Contact Last Name *
Street Address *
Phone One *
* Parade Unit Type, Please Read the Descriptions Below and Select One Type:
There are many different parade entry types. The categories are designed to help you focus your entry. You are not judged within these categories, but by providing us with this type of information; it helps the committee assemble the parade. Each category has a variety of standards that make it special. Review each category carefully before you make your selection:
Marching Unit: Marching Units need to have 15 to 100 choreographed and costumed participants. (Sweatshirts or t-shirts with logos are not considered costumes.) The marching unit should perform consistently throughout the parade. Sound is often used and different items may be carried. If a vehicle is used to transport a sound system, the vehicle must be vintage, unique, disguised or decorated.
NOTE: Marching units without motorized vehicles DO NOT need to provide liability insurance.
Unique Vehicles: Motorized or uniquely self-propelled vehicles. For cars and trucks, only motor vehicles classified as vintage and antique or funny cars are eligible for entry. Clubs and collectors may enter a maximum of three vehicles. All participants must be costumed and vehicles must be decorated.
Animal Units: Traditionally, equestrian clubs have been entrants in the parade, but this category also includes camels, mule teams, llamas and other unusual animals. All participants must be in costume, but the focus should remain on the animals. IMPORTANT: All Animal Units must provide their own Pooper Scoopers and must remove all animal waste in the staging area and throughout the parade. Units without Pooper Scoopers will NOT be allowed onto the parade route. No exceptions.
Musical Bands: Musical bands include school marching bands (and any accompanying drill teams or dance teams), community musical organizations, and other types of entrants utilizing music as their primary focus (jazz bands, rock bands, classical groups, etc.). School marching bands are judged on musical presentation, precision, marching alignment and uniformity, and appearance (costuming or uniforms).
Motorized Floats: Floats are any completely decorated unit powered by a motorized vehicle or pulled by an animal team. The exception is a decorated golf cart (or tow unit) to carry a sound system.To comply with City of Eugene ordinances, the following dimensions for floats are strictly enforced:
* Parade Unit Type, Please Select One Type:
Floats are limited to ONE VEHICLE per entry.
Acceptable entries have fully decorated vehicles (except wheel well areas). Tow vehicles should be decorated. Floats need to be towed by a licensed vehicle (if not self-propelled) or be transported on a licensed trailer by a licensed vehicle. All motorized vehicles must have liability insurance. Advertising on floats must be subordinate to the overall design of entry, or will constitute a commercial entry. Brakes in good working condition are required on all vehicles. Floats may be required to pass a safety and maneuverability inspection and meet all required safety regulations.
ALL FLOATS MUST CARRY A FIRE EXTINGUISHER VISIBLE TO PARADE SPECTATORS.
* Entry Description: Provide a brief description of your entry here. This is the information that will be used by announcers to describe your entry as you pass the judges stand. The announcer will have about 15-20 seconds to read this so please be succinct.
Approximate number of people in entry:
Type of main/larger vehicles (if any) please check one and write the total length. Tow units must be disguised, decorated or covered. *
Car with trailer
Other/Smaller Vehicles (number of vehicles is at the discretion of the parade committee):
Other Vehicles not mentioned above (please describe)
Will your entry use music:
If yes: please check
Animals (all entries must have their own pooper scooper)
Any Additional Information that will assist us in staging your entry in the parade
* Entry Fee Categories: There are four fee-based entry categories (school bands do not pay an entry fee). Determine your fee category: Commercial, Nonprofit/Private, Parade Partner, Candidate, or School Bands.
Commercial Entry: Any and all for-profit businesses and organizations. Any entry that displays an advertising message.
Entry Fee: By July 24: $275.00 By August 9: $412.00
Non Profit / Private Entry: Any and all not-for-profit businesses and organizations. Includes churches, schools, community organizations, nonprofit agencies, neighborhood groups, government agencies and private individuals.
Entry Fee: By July 24: $70.00 By August 9: $105.00
Candidate or PAC Entry: Any and all candidates running for political office, or currently holding an office, or any registered Political Action Committee in any parade unit.
Entry Fee: By July 24: $350.00 By August 9: $525.00
School Marching Bands: No Fee
Event Sponsor: No Fee
Parade Partner Entry: The joint entry of a business and a nonprofit entity: The Parade Partner category is open to any business that already sponsors a nonprofit organization or school group and would like to march with them in the parade. The two groups constitute one entry and pay one fee of $200. Parade Partners provides businesses a creative outlet for demonstrating community spirit while working on a hands-on project with a school or nonprofit organization. It gives businesses a chance to help showcase an organization that may not have the funds or human resources to be able to participate in the parade. Both groups will receive staging information. Include both the business name and the organization or school name on your banner. People from both the sponsoring business and the nonprofit organization should participate in planning and making the entry. Please fill out your business’ partner information, below.
Entry Fee: By July 24: $200.00 By August 9: $275.00
*Entry Fee Category
Non Profit / Private Entry
Candidate or PAC Entry
School Marching Bands
Parade Partner Entry
Parade Partner Information (if any)
Contact First Name
Contact Last Name
Evening (or mobile) Phone
Once your application has been received and reviewed, you will receive an email from the Parade coordinator regarding status of your application and if accepted, payment information will be included.
1. All applications must be received by the Friday, August 9, 2013 deadline and are subject to review by the Parade Selection Committee.
2. Entries are selected for the Eugene Celebration Parade on the basis of uniqueness and imagination. All entries should be decorated and entertaining. The Eugene Celebration welcomes diversity in all events and activities. All individuals, nonprofit organizations, churches and businesses are invited to submit an application.
3. In order to be accepted you must complete the description section of the application. Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant or simply rejected.
4. Entries may be historical, humorous or modern in design. Those planning entries should remember a large part of the audience will be children. ZANY- not bizarre!
5. ABSOLUTELY NO MATERIAL MAY BE HANDED OUT OR THROWN ALONG THE LINE OF MARCH. Parade participants are prohibited from distributing merchandise, gifts, candy, literature or other materials.
6. PARADE DELAY CAUSED BY ANY ENTRY MAY RESULT IN DEDUCTION OF COMPETITION POINTS OR DISQUALIFICATION FROM COMPETITION. Any entry stopping in front of the judges to especially perform or to bribe the judges will automatically be disqualified from the judging.
7. The Eugene Celebration reserves the right to deny participation, day of parade, if entry details vary from original accepted application.
Proof of Insurance:
All entrants with motorized vehicles must file a Certificate of Liability Insurance form with the Eugene Celebration office in order to participate in the Eugene Celebration Parade. You can obtain this form from your home or auto insurance agent, or from your business insurance agent. Please provide the following information to your agent well before the application deadline, and include a completed copy with your application. If the "insured" information is NOT the same as your "entrant contact" on your application, please designate the "entrant contact" on the Form.
1. Entrants agree to provide the Eugene Celebration with a copy of a current certificate of insurance covering the entrant or sponsoring organization, to remain on file during the Eugene Celebration.
2. Commercial Entrants must provide Comprehensive General Liability (CGL) insurance having a combined single limit of $1,000,000 covering bodily injury, personal injury and property damage.
3. An insurance certificate verifying the above limits must be filed with the Eugene Celebration office with the signed agreement and must contain the following provisions: A) Additional Named Insured- Kesey Enterprises and the City of Eugene are to be named as additional insured with respect to any liability arising from participation in the Eugene Celebration Parade on the CGL and Auto policies. B) The insurance certificate shall state that the policies certified are scheduled to be in effect at the time of the Eugene Celebration parade: August 24, 2013.
4. Certificate of Liability Insurance must be on file with The Eugene Celebration office by August 20, 2013, or entry will be denied at staging.
In consideration for Kesey Enterprises Inc. allowing the above described business or organization to participate in the Eugene Celebration, I, the undersigned, being duly authorized by the application vendor and on its behalf, and on behalf of its personal representatives, owners, employees, volunteers and agents, hereby waive, discharge, and release any and all rights and claims for injury to myself or others, loss or damage to personal property and the property of the organization, including theft or vandalism thereof, that may be suffered as a result of said participation in the Eugene Celebration. On behalf of myself, the above described business or organization and its employees, volunteers, an agents, I further authorize the taking and use of photographic images of the booth, personal representatives, employees, volunteers and agents, associated with said business or organization for future promotional use by the Eugene Celebration and waive any and all rights to said images or revenue derived from said images.
* I have read, understand and accept the terms of the release agreement and application: (Please type "YES" to Agree)
In order to avoid spam from annoying emailbots, the email form features a captcha request. Please type in the words as you see them below. If you have trouble understanding the words, please click the 'reload,' which will post a 'new challenge.'
Input text from image bellow: